What is Parents on Campus?
Parents on Campus is a lunch time school program dedicated to promoting a safe and friendly environment for all members of the Fisher community. The Parents on Campus program is based on the belief that increased adult visibility on campus will reduce safety related distractions and provide our students with a sense of security, stability and happiness.
How does it work?
Parents on Campus brings volunteer parents to school during the lunch period. Volunteer parents walk around the campus, mingling with students, keeping eyes and ears open. Staff personnel will always be available to handle any situation.
POC Training Video
Volunteering for POC
You may volunteer for POC on a regular schedule, i.e. weekly, bi-weekly, once a month or whenever you like. Drop-ins are welcome, just make sure to get a lanyard in the office. You will find the ivolunteer link in The Wednesday Flyer, the RJ Fisher website and the RJ Fisher Home &School Club website.
For your reference, a campus map is posted on the POC board in the school office.
Students need to remain within the painted yellow lines during lunch. (Exceptions: students with tutoring appointments in classrooms.)
School Staff on Duty during Lunch
- Lisa Fraser, Principal
- Paul Brennan, Assistant Principal
- Eriberto Arciga, Custodian
- Clare Vickers, Assistant Principal
For more information, contact:
- Paul Brennan, VP: 335-2307 email@example.com
- Natalia Dal, volunteer in charge of scheduling for POC firstname.lastname@example.org
A Day in the Life of a POC Volunteer
- Come 5 minutes early.
- Get a POC lanyard at the Attendance Desk
- Sign in for a station needing coverage.
- Grab some spirit tokens to hand out to students when you catch them being good.
- Be a friendly adult presence on campus
- Head out to the quad and walk around, have fun and engage the students in conversation
12:48 pm - 1:23 pm Monday
12:35 pm - 1:10 pm Tuesday - Friday
You may make changes or cancel if you need to using the ivolunteer link. Please find a substitute if you can!
Interacting with Students
Have fun walking around and observing the students. You will be “in the know” about what kids are saying, eating and wearing at school. Enjoy them and engage them in conversations. You may be surprised how much kids enjoy connecting with adults! Parents On Campus is not a security patrol; rather it is a highly visible, volunteer program that promotes campus security through positive parent presence. Your presence will maintain a safe, caring environment of campus for 1,250 students. Please report to staff any inappropriate, unsafe, or questionable behaviors you observe.
On rainy days, volunteers are needed even more! Some students go to the cafeteria to eat on rainy days but others remain outdoors in the sheltered areas. We still need parents on campus. Bring a jacket and an umbrella.
- Please remember to be available and approachable
- Dogs, no matter how friendly, are not allowed on campus
- Students are not allowed to use cell phones at school
- Parents should abide by the rules, no cell phone use, dress appropriately, no gum chewing
- School staff, not POC volunteers, will enforce the dress code
- Bring sunscreen and a hat
- Spend your time talking to the students, not the other parents!
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
You are making a difference in the lives of our children by volunteering!