6th Grade Earth Science - Course Outline
Teacher: Dr. Dougherty “Dr. D”
Overview: Students will learn about the basic process and language of science as well as how heat and density play a key role in all Earth’s Systems from the outside in. We also discuss Earth’s place in Space. We will do many labs and investigations throughout the year to deepen students’ understanding of these concepts. We will also be watching several different videos (rated G/PG) to enhance our curriculum. Many of these videos will be taken from the History Channel, Discovery Channel, NOVA, National Geographic Channel, PBS, various documentaries as well as Bill Nye the Science Guy.
Materials: Charged Chromebook
Notebook – 8.5” x 11” One Subject Spiral, college ruled with two pockets (available for purchase in the Student Store!)
Blank, ruled paper
Plastic Homework Folder
Pens/pencils (*be sure to have a red pen for corrections!)
This year, 6th grade teachers will be implementing standards-based grading practices. Grades will consist of two categories: product and process.
Product grades are assignments that assess a specific content area standard.
Process grades are learning processes/skills that are unrelated to a content standard but are still essential for students’ academic achievement. Every department will gather data differently and assess different process elements.
F Below 60%
Classroom Rules and Expectations
- Do your best and bring a charged Chromebook always J
- Late work – You are expected to turn in all assignments on time. If that is not possible, please refer to the Fisher Homework policy on how we grade late work. Late work will only receive partial credit.
- Absences/Make-ups –
- Assignments and Tests: Please refer to the Fisher Homework Policy regarding making up missed assignments due to absence. You will have one week to make up missed tests/quizzes during Flex Time or after school during TNT. Not during class!
- Labs/Class Activities – Labs/activities are difficult to make up due to timing/materials/set up and will be made up at teacher discretion.
- Be in your seat and ready to work when the bell rings. Please do your best to take care of bathroom breaks in between classes, during break or lunch.
- Stay seated until I dismiss you when the bell rings - this way you know what I expect of you the next time we see each other. I want to keep expectations clear.
- Cheating is unacceptable … clearly. If I see you cheating, you will get a zero for the assignment, a phone call home as well as a referral to the office. It is never a good idea.
I Expect Our Classroom To Be:
We have read and understand the information in this course outline. We understand what is expected of a student in Dr. Dougherty’s class. If there are any questions, Dr. Dougherty can be contacted at 408.335.2329 or email@example.com
Email is always the fastest and easiest way to communicate with me. I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible – typically within 48 hours. Thanks so much and I look forward to a great year!
Student Signature ___________________________________________________________
Parent Signature ____________________________________________________________